Please read prior to completing an adoption application
GRRR APPLICATION AND ADOPTION PROCESS
Thank you for your interest in adopting a Golden Retriever from Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies. We are grateful for people who are willing to open their hearts and homes by considering to adopt a Golden Retriever in need of a loving home. We do not adopt dogs out of state.
Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies works very hard to find the right match for each Golden who comes into our care. It is a process that can vary from a few days to several months depending on the circumstances.
Placements are not on a first come/first serve basis, rather placements are made according to what will be best for the dog and which adopter is the best match for the dog. The more flexible you are about the kind of dog you are willing to adopt, the less time the process may take. Not all incoming dogs are good with other dogs and/or cats so finding the right match is important to the safety and harmony of your household.
Each dog comes to us under unique circumstances and has individual needs that we strive to meet. In addition, each family also has individual circumstances which are taken into account when making a placement.
Because we are a rescue, we have no way of knowing when Golden’s will come into our care.
Once your application has been completed and submitted you will receive a confirmation email to let you know your application has been received. There is no need to send in multiple applications while you application is still active (typically 4 months). Applications are reviewed and considered for Goldens who are currently in our care, or held until a Golden who comes into our care might be a potential match for you. A volunteer may contact you by phone or email after the submission of your application. Please understand that we receive many applications for the Goldens in our care and we strive to find the best possible match for the Golden and the potential adopter. Our goal is to find a perfect forever home for each Golden. Please don’t get discouraged if you are not contacted right away as we often receive multiple applications for the same dog you may be interested in. Many of the Goldens who come into our care do not get posted on our website because they are matched with a preapproved applicant who we think will be the best family for that Golden. If the Golden you indicated interest in on your application is adopted by another applicant, your application will remain active for four months and we will continue to try to match you with a Golden who may come into our program during that time. Unfortunately we never know when Goldens will come into our care. The more flexible you are with age, medical, training, etc., the easier it will be for us to find the right Golden for you.
After a phone interview has been completed, your application will be kept in our active file until we identify a Golden that could be a great match for you/or for four months. When we identify a potential Golden, a member of our adoption team will contact you to set up a time for you to meet the Golden(s). At this meeting all family members, including any current dogs, will be required to attend. It is important that this be a good match for everyone. A home visit may be scheduled at that time.
Adoption donations are paid at the time of adoption: $425 (includes chip registration) for Goldens under six months ($100 spay/neuter deposit for unaltered puppies refunded upon proof of spay/neuter); $325 (includes chip registration) for Goldens 6 months to 7 years and $200 (includes chip registration) for Goldens 8 years and older. Istanbul Turkey dogs are $800 under 1 year old, $600 over 1 year old.
A few things we would like you to know/consider:
- There is a higher demand for younger to middle aged Goldens.
- We do not place on a first come, first served basis.
- We do not place Goldens outside of Colorado
- We rarely adopt dogs to apartments, condo's or other housing with no yard
- Potential adopters (entire family, including dogs) are required to come to the meet and greet at our location in Arvada, Colorado. This will be set up by an adoption coordinator with you.
- Many of the Goldens who come into our care are strays and we have no history on them such as: Are they good with children; do they get along with other dogs; how do they behave around cats and small pets; do they jump fences; are they housetrained, etc. We do our best to get to know them while they are in our care, but there will always be good and bad surprises as an adoptive family gets to know the new Golden in their life.
- We rarely place dogs with families with children under 8 years old. This policy is for your safety as we do not have the background with most dogs as to know how they are with small children
- GRRR is primarily operated by volunteers and unfortunately with only two staff we are unable to return phone calls and emails regarding application status. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.
- We cannot guarantee a Golden for every applicant. We look to find the best match for the needs of the Golden and the applicant
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old.
- We seldom have Goldens in our care who would be appropriate for placement in a home without a fenced yard or in an apartment.
Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies is dedicated to finding the best placements possible for each of our dogs and our adopters. We appreciate your patience with our process. Our organization is primarily volunteers who work diligently to ensure each Golden finds a wonderful new home where they are a loved family member.