We want all of our Turkey Dogs to find forever loving homes. Because the dogs have spent much of their time on the streets and living outside - they will need time adjusting to living in a house and being part of a family.
Because of this, the Turkey Dogs require a special home with the following criteria:
- Ideally a stay-at-home or work-at-home parent would be best for these dogs to acclimate to their new surroundings. However, parents who work part-time or have extended time off can work because they have time to work with their new dog.
- 6 foot fenced-in yard (No invisible fencing).
- No children under 8
- Only families who live in Colorado (no out of state adoptions-no exceptions)
- Many TDs have lived on their own and don't do well with cats.
- Interested adopters should follow our regular adoption process below.
- Turkey dogs have a higher adoption fee, due to the higher rescue expense; Under 1 years old $800, Over 1 year of age $600
Please read the following prior to completing an adoption application!
GRRR APPLICATION AND ADOPTION PROCESS
Thank you for your interest in adopting a Golden Retriever from Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies. We are grateful for people who are willing to open their hearts and homes by considering to adopt a Golden Retriever in need of a loving home.
Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies works very hard to find the right match for each Golden who comes in our care. It is a process that can vary from a few days to several months depending on the circumstances.
Placements are made according to what will be best for the dog. The more flexible you are about the kind of dog you are willing to adopt, the less time the process may take. It is not a first-come first-served basis, but rather which family is the best match for the dog.
Each dog comes to us under unique circumstances and has individual needs that we strive to meet. In addition, each family also has individual circumstances which are taken into account when making a placement.
Because we are a rescue, we have no way of knowing when Goldens will come into our care.
Once your application has been completed and submitted you will receive a confirmation email to let you know your application has been received. Applications are reviewed and considered for Goldens who are currently in our care, or held until a Golden who comes into our care might be a potential match for you. A volunteer may contact you by phone or email after the submission of your application. Please understand that we receive many applications for the Goldens in our care and we strive to find the best possible match for the Golden and the potential adopter. Our goal is to find a perfect forever home for each Golden. Please don’t get discouraged if you are not contacted right away as we often receive multiple applications for the same dog you may be interested in. Many of the Goldens who come into our care do not get posted on our website because they are matched with a preapproved applicant who we think will be the best family for that Golden. If the Golden you indicated interest in on your application is adopted by another applicant, your application will remain active for three months and we will continue to try to match you with a Golden who may come into our program during that time. Unfortunately we never know when Goldens will come into our care. The more flexible you are with age, medical, training, etc., the easier it will be for us to find the right Golden for you.
After a phone interview has been completed, your application will be kept in our active file until we identify a Golden that could be a great match for you/or for three months. When we identify a potential Golden, a member of our adoption team will contact you to set up a time for you to meet the Golden(s). At this meeting all family members, including any current dogs, will be required to attend. It is important that this be a good match for everyone. A home visit may be scheduled at that time.
Adoption donations are paid at the time of adoption: $800 for Goldens under 1 year; $600 for Goldens over 1 year.
A few things we would like you to know/consider:
- There is a higher demand for younger to middle aged Goldens.
- We do not place on a first come, first served basis.
- We do not place Goldens outside of Colorado.
- Potential adopters (entire family, including dogs) are required to come to meet Goldens at our location in Arvada, Colorado.
- The Goldens who come into our care from Turkey have no history on them such as: Are they good with children; do they get along with other dogs; how do they behave around cats and small pets; do they jump fences; are they housetrained, etc. We do our best to get to know them while they are in our care, but there will always be good and bad surprises as an adoptive family gets to know the new Golden in their life.
- GRRR is primarily operated by volunteers and unfortunately with only two staff we are unable to return phone calls and emails regarding application status. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.
- We cannot guarantee a Golden for every applicant. We look to find the best match for the needs of the Golden and the applicant
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old.
- We seldom have Goldens in our care who would be appropriate for placement in a home without a fenced yard or in anapartment.
Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies is dedicated to finding the best placements possible for each of our dogs and our adopters. We appreciate your patience with our process. Our organization is primarily volunteers who work diligently to ensure each Golden finds a wonderful new home where they are a loved family member.